Key West Coast Guard Maritime Museum
The only Coast Guard Cutter afloat today to receive two Presidential Unit Citations for extraordinary heroism in action against an armed enemy.¬†¬†The U.S. Coast Guard Cutter SAMUEL D. INGHAM (Builder's No. CG-66) was built at the Philadelphia Navy Yard and was the fourth cutter to bear that name. The Treasury Department awarded her contract on 30 January 1934. Her keel was laid on 1 May 1935 and she was launched on 3 June 1936 along with her sister Treasury-class cutters WILLIAM J. DUANE and ROGER B. TANEY. The SAMUEL D. INGHAM was christened by Ms. Katherine INGHAM Brush on that date and the new cutter was formally commissioned on 12 September 1936. With over 50 years of service around the work, USCGC INGHAM is a quintessential portrait of Coast Guard history from 1936 to 1988.